Visiting New River Gorge Nationwide Park In West Virginia
New River Gorge Nationwide Park and Protect within the southern portion of West Virginia is ready other than different nationwide parks because of the magnificence and uniqueness of the Appalachian Mountains. It is likely one of the hottest rock-climbing areas within the nation, with over 1,400 established rock climbs.
This nationwide park is a nature lover’s paradise, with over 53 miles of the New River to discover and 100 miles of trails throughout the park. There’s additionally a strolling tour that takes you underneath the New River Gorge Bridge by way of the catwalk to achieve spectacular views of the pure great thing about West Virginia.
Inside New River Gorge Nationwide Park and Protect, there are six campgrounds which can be accessible by small and medium RVs. Every of those campgrounds are set as much as host not more than 20 RVs, with choose ones solely capable of accommodate small RVs. Right here’s a have a look at every campground.
Military Camp Campground
This campground permits smaller RVs to park right here. There are not any pull-thru websites on this primitive campground. One wheelchair accessible campsite is on the grounds, with accessible restrooms as effectively. Situated on an unmarked dust highway, there are 11 websites obtainable, some with partial shade.
Stone Cliff Seaside Campground
Close to Thurmond, the Stone Cliff Beach Campground is positioned off Route 25. It options six walk-in websites and one car website that may accommodate one small RV. At this primitive campground, there are not any hookups obtainable.
This campground is also the place to begin to the Stone Cliff Path, an easy-to-moderate path that spans 2.7 miles a technique. Alongside this climbing and biking path, guests can anticipate nice river views with easy accessibility to the river.
Struggle Ridge/Backus Mountain Campground
That is one other primitive area that options eight drive-in websites for small RVs. Located a couple of half-mile off Backus Highway, this primitive tenting space just isn’t ADA accessible.
Gauley Tailwaters Campground
That is the largest campground that options RV websites. The primitive tenting setup is positioned just under the Summersville Dam and gives 18 drive-in websites which can be shut collectively.
For that reason, solely small RVs and trailers are capable of be accommodated. Whereas there are not any hookups or working water, this campsite does present a pit rest room restroom.
Glade Creek Campground
The Glade Creek Campground gives 5 drive-in websites that may accommodate small-to-medium sized RVs. One among these websites gives wheelchair entry. The campground additionally features a picnic space, fishing space, restrooms, and a small a part of the Glade Creek Path.
Grandview Sandbar Campground
Grandview Sandbar Campground gives ten wooded websites for small-to-medium-sized RVs in addition to two accessible websites by the river.
Know earlier than you go
Additionally, take word that there’s a restrict of 14 days inside a 28-day interval at any of the campgrounds inside New River Gorge Nationwide Park and Protect.
All these fee-free sites are open on a first-come, first-served foundation, and reservations should not accepted. Two automobiles are permitted on every website, with a most of eight individuals per website. Pets are allowed however should be stored on a leash. Quiet hours are from 10:00 p.m. till 6:00 a.m.
All of those campgrounds are open year-round, holidays included. Whereas there isn’t a web service obtainable, there may be year-round mobile phone capabilities.
The warmest month annually is July, which additionally sees the utmost quantity of common precipitation yearly. Climate on this space can change rapidly and is legendary for being unpredictable. The potential for sudden storms ought to be one thing to be ready for. Additionally, understand that climate within the mountains is commonly cooler than the neighboring areas.
Actions inside New River Gorge Nationwide Park
Other than scenic campground websites all through the park, there are a couple of different actions for essentially the most daring in addition to for the reserved outdoorsman.
- Whitewater rafting: Journeys can be found year-round, however the season begins in April and ends in October. With a handful of assorted entry factors alongside the New River, journeys could be as quick as a couple of hours or so long as a number of days. Go to the park’s web site here to study extra about this journey.
- Mountaineering: With over 1,600 established routes, its simple to see why New River Gorge is likely one of the hottest climbing areas all through the nation.
- Fishing/Looking: Each actions are allowed all through a lot of the park, on federally owned land sections. Go to this page for extra data.
- Mountain climbing/Biking trails: Many trails can be found and vary from simple rail trails to harder trails for the skilled hiker or biker rider.
- Scenic drives: This park gives plenty of alternatives for scenic drives. Absorb the great thing about the park and spot wildlife, all from the protection of your automobile.
Should-see places throughout the park
As soon as the campsite is ready and also you’ve had an opportunity to unwind from the drive, make sure you go to some, or all, of those breathtaking sights. They received’t disappoint.
New River Gorge Bridge
Spanning the New River Gorge, hovering 876 toes above the river, this bridge is likely one of the most photographed landmarks throughout the state of Virginia. It is usually the longest metal span bridge within the western hemisphere.
That is the most important waterfall on the river. There’s a sequence of islands that divide the river, creating drops of 10 to 25 toes. Whereas there may be some driving time to achieve the falls, the journey leads down two of essentially the most scenic roads throughout the park. Each roads present a number of historic websites, overlooks, river entry factors, and pure areas.
It is a peaceable location to get pleasure from stunning views of the New River. Located 1,400 toes above the river at Principal Overlook, this overlook gives a number of the most breathtaking views throughout the park. On a cloudless day, guests can view seven miles of the river in addition to a number of the cultural historical past distinctive to the Gorge.
Different places to discover
- Fayette Station Highway: Exploring this highway permits for a glimpse again in time. Expertise what vacationers noticed every day earlier than the trendy bridge was constructed again in 1977.
- Prince: This small city options an operational railroad depot and is the place to begin of the journey to Glade Creek.
- Glade Creek: The Glade Creek Bridge is lengthy gone, however the piers nonetheless stand. This marks the location of a former lumber mill in addition to the stays of some firm logging cities.
- Richmond Hamilton Farm: Achieve a way of life for early settlers within the area at this early subsistence farm.
- Trump-Lilly Farm: This gives one other look again at what life was like within the Appalachians for subsistence farming.
- Nuttallburg: This space tells the story of one of many Gorge’s most important coal mining cities, with the stays of a coal conveyor, a tipple, coke ovens, and some buildings.
A pet-friendly nationwide park
Pets are capable of be a part of within the climbing enjoyable on all the paths inside New River Gorge Nationwide Park and Protect. There are a couple of guidelines to observe, so pets can accompany visitors in a secure method for all.
All the time preserve pets on a leash, not than six toes. They aren’t allowed in any of the parks’ buildings or customer facilities. Clear up after your pet and convey further water to your pet throughout hikes. Streams might comprise parasites or micro organism dangerous to your pets. At each customer middle, there are water fountains or water bottle filling stations, however there isn’t a ingesting water accessible on the many trailheads.
The seasons all fluctuate at this fashionable nationwide park, and every distinct season gives stunning surroundings and a brand new method to view the pure landscapes. There’s actually no fallacious time to go to.
Begin planning your journey immediately
For your whole tenting and journey planning wants, look no additional than RV LIFE Campground Evaluations and RV LIFE Trip Wizard. Campground Evaluations is a trusted supply of campground and RV park critiques supplied by tenting and RV lovers identical to you. With its accompanying RV LIFE App, RV Journey Wizard will get you to your tenting locations using RV-friendly routes particular to your RV and journey preferences.